Saturday, January 31, 2009

Conflux visual spoiler and set review (White)

So this is Conflux's big pre-release party weekend. I've seen this done on a few other website's, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Without further ado, here's my set review.

Things to Note:
This is in regards mainly to Std only. I will mention some extended and Block possibilities where abilicable, but on the whole, I'm generally reviewing in regards to std.

Star Ratings are from 1-5, here's how I break it down:

*-Absolute Jank, should not have been printed

**-Casual only card, will not see tournament play

***-A good stable card. Good sideboard material

****-These are what great decks are made of

*****-Bombs! These will almost singlehandedly win you the game


Constructed:**
Limited:***1/2

A 3/3 flyer for 5 mana is just not going to cut it in std play. In a white deck at 5 mana, one can cast Battlegrace Angel or Cloudgoat Ranger. Both are better then this by far, so I just don't see this making an impact.

In limited however 3/3's for 5's are good stable cards. Shards was a set with a lot of targeted removal, so I can definitely see this in a limited draft deck, and depending on the environment, you might see it in a mono-white Block deck.





Constructed-**
Limited-**


3 mana to give a creature flying first strike and Vigilance! Wow, this is one of the most overpowered auras I've seen. Yet, it's still an aura. Aura's have the distinct disadvantage of just inviting 2 for1 trades. My other complaint is that while it gives a lot of keywords, it doesn't increase power and toughness, which helps the creature not die. I see this being played in limited only, and only if you have nothing else in your pool to choose from.






Constructed-**
Limited-***1/2

I don't see this card making it in constructed. I could be wrong, and 4 of them could appear in a 5-color variant, but the 2 power kills it I think. The most your getting is a 2/5, but only a 2/3 when you cast, and that's if your have 3 separate colors of mana. Too many ifs...

I can see this becoming a nice defender in a 5-color draft deck though.







Constructed-***
Limited-****

I can definitely see these guys in an exalted block deck. In limited, I will be happy to add this to anything playing white. He's a cheap solid card that helps your other cards later in the game. He didn't get 4 stars in constructed because exalted has had less impact in std then in other formats. He might be played, he might not, but in my experience flying with exalted is a deadly combination.








Constructed-****
Limited-****

I'm going to say it now, white, not too long ago one of the weakest colors in Magic is back in the game, in a big way. It started with Kithkin in the Lorwyn/Shadowmoor block, and this card is part of the dynamic conflux duo that's going to push it to a whole new level. Do you need a card to handle bitterblossom? Well here it is ladies and gentlemen. How bout Ajani Vengeant, Sarkhan Vol, Sprouting Thrinax, all the new five color creatures in conflux, and even the mighty Nichol Bolas is taken out by this little 2 mana instant.

And it doesn't put them back in their hand, or send them to the grave, NO SIR! They are gone, they are OUTTA HERE! They are removed from the game, do not pass go, do not see again! Instant 4 of sideboard card, possibly main if the format dictates. Oh, and the artwork is killer too.


Constructed-***
Limited-***(1/2) if in esper

I can see this being included in block and limited decks. A 2/2 for 1 is never something to sneeze at. However my gut tells me that this is not the second coming of Isamaru.

Plus it's in a a controlling shard, and it's an aggressive creature. Like I said, looks like it has potential, but I don't think it'll make a splash.







Constructed-**
Limited-**1/2

A flyer with an unexciting ability. A limited filler card if I ever saw one. Don't get me wrong, I'll be happy to have a potential 3/1 flyer in a white\black draft deck, but there's nothing to see here that's not in 12 other sets with a slight variation.










Constructed-**
Limited-***

This is a very expensive combat trick that has basic landcycling to make it usable in limited. I can see this card being played almost exclusively for the basic landcycling almost.

Next









Constructed-***1/2
Limited-***

So white gets the Memory Lapse reprint. The printing of this card not only gives white some nice tempo control, but unfortunately totally removes any reason to play Excommunicate from Shards. I know I'd rather counter the spell, then way till it's on the board, and at instant speed. It's just a better card in that respect. While Memory lapse wasn't played much in blue, I think it may catch in in mono-white kithkin and Block decks as a means to get that "one more turn" to get the kill.







Constructed-***1/2
Limited-**

I think this card should read "Win against Red Deck Wins". That's basically what this card does. I think that this card might finds it's way into sideboards to protected against RDW. This might even show up in extended, which is always a clear sign of a good card. Nice solid sideboard card. Sucks that it's a rare though, I would hate for this to be my rare in draft.








Constructed-***(*) if in block
Limited-*****

Basically, this is an "I win" card in limited more often then not. If you open this first pick in a draft, you will have a VERY clear indicator on which way to go. Being the only board sweeperin both Shards and Conflux, you will see this card in a ton of block decks.

I don't however see it being played in std much, unless wrath isn't in 11th edition.







Constructed-**
Limited-****

This is a very nice card for limited, and I would be happy to first pick this guy. With all the colors in conflux, you're bound to have a blue permanent of some kind by the time this guy makes an appearance. But honestly, the only thing I see when I look at this card is a voice saying "Please try to abuse me". I don't think anyone will be able to, but you never know. I don't think this will impact std at all. There are much more efficient 6 mana cost spells to choose from.

Cool art though!






Constructed-**
Limited-***

6 mana is too much to pay for a 5/4 vigilance creature in std. I think you'll see him as a last add on to Naya "Power of 5" decks, but other then that he's too much for too little. Draft only creature.











Constructed-*
Limited-**

This is a garbage card. A three mana 2/2 first strike with an overpriced ability. Sorry, this card will spend it's days played in a bad draft deck and then balancing the coffee table, if it's lucky.











Constructed-*****
Limited-*****

Welcome to part 2 of the dynamic duo. Path to Exile will change the way Magic is played for the next decade. When I started playing Magic 6 years ago, I heard stories being told of the mighty Swords to Plowshares, that could remove a creature with a single white mana. Well it's back folks, slightly altered, but back. It's going to be the most played removal spell since sliced bread. I just thank the Magic overlords that this isn't a 20 dollar rare. Although I do think this is going to be a 4-5 dollar uncommon the first first weeks.





Constructed-**
Limited-**

4 mana for a 2/4 and a card. Nothing particularly of note other then the 4 toughness. Limited only card.












Constructed-***1/2
Limited-****

An icy manipulator that costs one less mana. I can see this being played, especially in a std format that is encouraging players to play all the colors all the time. I can definitely see this in a 5-color control deck, it's a matter of how fast the meta-game gets.










Constructed-*1/2
Limited-*

A 5 mana combo piece that does nothing by itself...sorry, you will not be played. I'm sure some Johnny somewhere will try and break you, but I don't think he will. Bulk Rare city, moving on.












Constructed-*
Limited-***

A truly limited only if I ever saw one. It's a 3 toughness defender early. That is it's only benefit. I can see people putting this in their decks only if neccessary, otherwise it will spend most of it's cardboard life on the bottom of a trade binder.











Constructed-***
Limited-****

Now generally I'm not a fan of life gain or walls. So this should not be a card that would interest me, yet it does. I think the 6 toughness is the key here. That is a lot in today's standard. I think he might be too expensive at 4 mana, but limited decks are going to love this bad boy. Put this in an exalted or "power of five" deck, and the life gain could get pretty nuts. I see this being played, but mainly only in limited.









Well that's white for Conflux, I'll be reviewing blue tomorrow. The power level of white went up in spades in Conflux, so watch out.

Cards to look out for:

Path to Exile
Celestial Purge
Lapse of certainty
Martial Coup
Staff of Dominance

No comments: